Carbon Monoxide is Deadly!
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
March brings warmer temperatures and the hope of spring; however, our furnaces are still running! If you are heating with any fuel except for electric, carbon monoxide is created as the fuel burns. Furnaces, hot water heaters, stoves, and other devices that are properly installed and maintained have a very low chance of emitting carbon monoxide (CO) into your residence, but a malfunction after months of use is possible.
Carbon Monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It binds to the hemoglobin in your blood, displacing the vital oxygen that you need to survive. By the time you experience symptoms, you are already starting to suffer from lack of oxygen. A carbon monoxide alarm will alert you if the CO levels in the building start to rise and give you time to evacuate and notify the fire department.
Please find extensive information on carbon monoxide and CO alarms on our Fire Prevention page.
Contact the Chambersburg Fire Department at 263-5872 if you have any questions or need a CO alarm and are a resident of the Borough of Chambersburg.